210 Rockwell Hall 600 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15282
Become part of a peer-learning network of sports professionals in this completely online graduate program. Learn from experts in the fields of sports administration and leadership. Duquesne University, founded in 1878, is ranked in the top tier of U.S. News & World Report's annual ranking of America's Best Colleges 2011.
Become part of a peer-learning network of sports professionals in this completely online graduate program. The first online graduate program in sports leadership, students benefit by learning from experts in the fields of sports administration and leadership.
Current students and alumni include collegiate team coaches, senior directors, ticket managers and other professionals representing major league baseball, stadiums, minor league baseball and more.
This is a collaborative program of Duquesne University's School of Leadership and Professional Advancement and John F. Donahue Graduate School of Business.
- The School of Leadership and Professional Advancement is the recipient of numerous honors including the Outstanding Leadership Program Award from the Association for Leadership Educators and Distinguished Credit Program Awards from the Association for Continuing Higher Education.
- The John F. Donahue Graduate School of Business is included among the one-third of all Schools of Business that are accredited by the AACSB International.
Duquesne University, founded in 1878, is ranked in the top tier of U.S. News & World Report's annual ranking of America's Best Colleges 2011.
"The backbone for success in any program is its substance, and Duquesne's online sports leadership program is a tremendous way for the busy professional to take their career to the next level with one of the top sports leadership programs in the country." - Len Komoroski, President, Cleveland Cavaliers
M.S. in Leadership, Concentration in Sports Leadership
Become part of a peer-learning network of sports professionals in this completely online graduate program. Learn from experts in the fields of sports administration and leadership. Current students and alumni include collegiate team coaches, senior directors, ticket managers and other professionals representing major league baseball, stadiums, minor league baseball and more.
As a student you'll have access to learning resources and support services including the Duquesne University Library, online writing center, and contact with faculty and advisors. As a graduate you’ll join a network of nearly 79,000 active alumni located around the globe.
Courses in this 36-credit program include strategic sales management and negotiation, legal issues, competitive intelligence, business ethics in sports and strategic sports marketing. The knowledge and skills attained through this program will enable sports industry professionals to add increased value to their organizations. Students will cultivate an ability to lead and refine critical thinking and problem solving skills. Upon completion, students will:
- demonstrate increased knowledge of the sports industry
- have an increased ability to negotiate various professional arrangements and contracts
- demonstrate sensitivity to the range of external forces (social, economic, international, political, technological) that arise within the sports industry; and have the skills and knowledge to forge a leadership vision from these forces and translate it into reality
- understand how to manage organizations in the sports industry including marketing firms, licensing agencies, major retailers, professional sports organizations and sporting venues
- obtain the information needed to support marketing decisions within the sports industry: selection of target market, design of product, distribution, promotion and pricing policy
- describe the place of personal ethics and shared organizational culture within the sports industry
|"I would have to say this was one of the best decisions I ever made in going back and earning my master's degree. The curriculum gave me a different perspective on leadership and allowed me to take a step back and identify other imperative ways to manage and lead a team. More importantly the diverse backgrounds of classmates within the industry and those outside the industry gave me even a greater appreciation of other ways of making decisions, leading people and managing relationships."
||USA Hockey's U-18 National Team
|"The Sports Leadership program at Duquesne has proven to be beneficial to my professional growth threefold:
(1) As a coach, the delivery format has allowed me to further my education while maintaining a rigorous coaching schedule;
(2) continuing my education at Duquesne has been the catalyst for renewing, refocusing and revitalizing my leadership style and approach; and
(3) the Program has exposed me to new theory that will advance my breadth and depth of knowledge, and better prepare me for future leadership roles within athletics."